**Artwork by Kimberlee
As I get deeper into the world of blogging, I’ve been exposed to a lot of different makeup brands that I probably wouldn’t have found on my own while strolling around Sephora. I used to be the person who swore off foundation or eyebrow powder, but in 2014 I was a newbie to the makeup world (…and in comparison to my fellow fashion bloggers, I probably still am…!) and was terribly afraid of layering up makeup in fear of looking (and feeling) unlike myself. However, by 2018 I’ve experimented a bit more and found some tried and trues I keep buying over and over again – and I’m super excited to share with y’all!
That said, you’ve likely seen a few of these brands mentioned on my blog before (hey there, Supergoop!), and I’m also including some new ones that have made the cut over the years. Sooo, let’s get to it! Ps. Sharing these items in order of how I apply them – start to finish…
- Supergoop Unseen Sunscreen: For one, I LOVE this brand. Sun protection is so important and they genuinely care about their customers (I had a phone call with their team last year and I got off the phone super motivated to take better care of my skin!). Second, Unseen Sunscreen acts as a makeup primer but it’s also SPF40. This stuff makes your skin feel buttery smooth and creates that perfect foundation to build upon with the rest of your makeup.
- MAC Studio Fix Perfecting Stick: About a year ago, I ventured into Nordstrom in search of an under eye concealer.
I’m 28-years-old and realized after those hectic go-go-go weeks, my dark circles are VERY present. Thus, after trying out a few different brands, I settled upon this MAC stick and it is a miracle worker!! I swipe a generous amount under each eye and blend into my skin. It brightens my eyes and the dark circles instantly disappear. LOVE this stuff (and it’s not super expensive either – yay!).
- Estee Lauder Flawless Double Wear Concealer: Alrighty, so this concealer really is a game changer. I’ve been an avid fan and purchaser since college and it never fails me. My skin likes to test my patience (and self esteem) by getting a few big zits after a workout or around my period each month, but this concealer comes to my rescue every time! Also – I am 110% a “picker” so I tend to have little red dots more often than not on my face, and dabbing a touch of this onto the blemish works wonders. It’s the best!
- Chanel Vitalumiere Aqua Skin Perfecting Makeup: This is my go-to for foundation because it’s ultra light and really does even out my skin tone beautifully, I feel polished and pretty every time I use it. My best friend Elissa has used this for years and I finally decided to give it a try…a year later and I haven’t looked back since! I love that it’s oil-free but still leaves your skin hydrated and refreshed. Hands down the best foundation I’ve ever used – and I have never been a foundation advocate!
- Smashbox Halo Perfecting Powder: Ever since adolescence, I’ve been a powder fanatic. No joke, I’ve probably tried 100 different brands – everything from drug store finds to nice department stores. About four years ago, my mom got me a Smashbox sample box for Christmas and this powder was included. I have been obsessed ever since and will happily splurge on this stuff because it’s mag-ic-al!
- Urban Decay Beached Bronzer – I have yet to meet a gal who doesn’t love Urban Decay products, it’s such a solid makeup brand that continues to come out with more awesome products over the years and as makeup trends change. Especially in the summer, I love using this bronzer to add a little glow before I head out for the day. Zero orange to be seen, just a beautiful warm color that looks like a natural, sun-kissed tan.
- Nars Blush (I get shade “orgasm” – interesting name, great color haha): Once again, I have to thank Elissa for turning me onto Nars blush! I had yet to find a blush I was loyal to – until this one. It’s smooth and adds that perfect pop of pink without going on too strong.
- Sigma Beauty Brow Powder Duo and Brow Brush – Seriously LOVE this stuff – total game changer for me! I worked with Sigma Beauty a couple years back on a makeup post and have been hooked on the brow powder ever since. I have dark brows as it is, but given years of plucking and waxing (god bless my middle school self with the ultra skinny brows), they are a bit sparse in certain areas. This brow powder looks super natural and really just fills in beautifully. Given the duo color combination, you can even blend powders to get the color you want. (Ps. Currently on sale for $10 whaaat!).
- Bobbi Brown Eyeshadow: I like to keep it simple with my eye shadow, so going with a trusty golden brown is always foolproof. This one stays on all day and doesn’t fall into creases around my eyes, which I’ve experienced a ton with other brands (…and can’t stand!). Also love that it’s smaller so it’s a go-to for traveling.
- Urban Decay Perversion Mascara: Once again, Urban Decay makes the list! This mascara adds thickness and length but doesn’t clump…it’s so good!!
- MAC Nude Lipstick in Mocha: I’ve been a fan of MAC lipsticks for a while now (…who isn’t?!) and I have finally found THE perfect nude shade: Mocha. It’s muted yet adds enough color to be visible in photos, and it looks super natural. Such a great color year round and a staple I keep in my purse at all times!
- Pop & Suki Personalized Makeup Bag: I was gifted one of these at a SXSW event and it’s the cutest thing!! It’s a great size and isn’t flimsy, so it’s perfect for traveling or keeping stored in cabinet drawer in your bathroom. I’m a sucker for personalized anything, and combined with the powder pink (…and that fun font!), this makeup bag is perfection! Also – I know the price may seem steep, but I carried my previous makeup bag for eight years sooo…if it lasts, it’s worth the splurge IMO!
And there you have it – my favorite makeup (currently) this summer! I feel like I’ve found a new love for beauty products (both makeup and skincare) this year and it’s been so fun to try out different products and discover awesome brands to add to my rotation. I’ll keep you updated as I find more beauty goodies that I love!
Is there makeup in your cosmetic bag that you swear by? Let me know in a comment below! Hope y’all have a wonderful July 4th, XO.